Deoxyribonucleic acid, commonly known as DNA, is nothing but a molecule encoding genetic information that governs a living organism’s development and functioning. Putting it in simpler language, DNA stores information about the genetic makeup of an organism. This genetic makeup is passed on from one generation to another.

Here we have collect 15 interesting and amazing facts of DNA, Let’s Begin :

1) DNA stores all information that makes up any organism. That’s quite a lot of information but what’s interesting about DNA is that it is made of just four building blocks, which are – cytosine (C), thymine (T), guanine (G) and adenine (A).

2) There were some ancient viruses that used to infect humans but today, 8% of human DNA is actually made of those ancient viruses!

3) Human DNA is 95% identical to the DNA of chimpanzees. That’s quite understandable but what’s shocking is that human DNA is 50% identical to the DNA of bananas!

4) Here is another shocker – cabbages and humans share about 40-50% of identical DNA. Yeah – cabbages – those that we eat!

5) You know what? 1 single gram of DNA is capable of holding an amazing 700 terabytes of data!

6) If we want to store all digital information in this world, all we need is 2 grams of DNA.

7) Scientists have found out that a total of 510 DNA codes have been lost throughout the process of human evolution.

Intersting fact about DNA,DNA

8) DNA is present in each and every cell of human body. Each DNA strand is 1.8 meters long but squeezed into a space of 0.09 micrometers!

9) If someone manages to unwind all DNA molecules in a human body and place them end to end, the total length that can be covered is 10 billion miles! That’s the distance covered in a trip from Earth to Pluto and back to Earth.

10)The center of our galaxy Milky Way contains molecular precursors of DNA.

11) It will take 50 years to type the entire human genome if someone types at a speed of 60 wpm (words per minute) and works 8 hours a day!

12) 99.9% of DNA is identical in all humans on this Earth. The remaining 0.1% is what helps us to differentiate between DNA sequences allowing us to tell which DNA belongs to whom.

13) DNA was first discovered in year 1869 by a man named Friedrich Miescher.

14) It was only in 1943 that scientists became aware of the fact that genetic information is stored in DNA. Prior to that, it was believed that genetic information was stored in proteins.

15) According to researches, DNA has a half-life of 521 years. This simply means that the oldest animal or organism that can be cloned back to life cannot be older than 2 million years. Thus, replicating dinosaurs is literally impossible because they went extinct 65 million years ago.

Bonus Facts :

  • DNA is capable of replicating or duplicating itself, it is, it is capable of making an identical copy of itself and this is essential during cell division.



CIF: -
CP: 12140 Kathmandu (Nepal)
Tel: +9779823573469, +9779813987367,

"Qualitative ,Informative and useful knowledge"
error: Content is protected !!